Hamn i Senja has had the name “Hamn” or “Havn” (also meaning “harbour”) ever since the beginning of the 1600s. From ancient times people at Hamn have lived from the ocean. In 1881 Hamn became a trading station and fishing village.
It was then that the merchant Adolf Lund built the buildings considered appropriate to a recognised North Norwegian trading station: a fishing quay including a steamship quay, a shop with a warehouse, a bakery, a cod liver oil and “grakse” factory [grakse, a solid by-product of oil production was used in fishmeal production], an ice store, fishermen’s quarters [rorbuer], a cowshed and a courthouse with guest rooms. A founder of such business became a local “king”, and his pets in the 1880ies were nothing less than two tame eagles.
Hamn gained postal services in 1874, and in 1886 the national telephone service arrived. The telephone exchange, was built then and is still in Hamn. Activity in Hamn was not only linked to the fisheries. In the summer of 1869 Eilert Brox found nickel ore on his farm.
The Englishman Henry Hussey Vivian then built up Senjens Nickelmine. Operation of the works was kept going until 1886. During that period about 650 people lived at Hamn, compared to less than 10 today.
In 1882 the first power station in the world based on hydro-electric power was built at Hamn. The dam is still in existence and is worth a visit. During the period 1925-1935 Hamn was one of the largest fish landing stations in North Norway.
The career of Hamn as a fishing station ended in the end of the 1980ies.
In 1994 the old buildings were renewed, and converted into an intimate holiday resort with 12 apartments and small restaurant. The old icehouse turned in to be the new sauna, and after a while an out door hot in a boat on shore beacame a popular acitivity.
Time had changed, and suddenly people came from all over the country, and also from all over the world to visit the new Hamn. After just one year in the business, Hamn became the product of the year in Norway – a travel business award given for developing well organized activity packages.
Then fire ruined the buildings in September 2005. The family-owners decided to rebuild, and after almost 3 years Hamn could finally open the doors for guests once more.
Today, you can still feel the nice, peaceful and maritime atmosphere – this time to be enjoyed in a comfortable resort with all modern facilities.
Hamn is open all year, although on every day basis only during June till August.
Modern facilities for conferences, and activities based on the fascinating nature surrounding Hamn, makes it popular to stay for meetings, weddings, Christmas dinners, watching the northern lights, kayaking, for events, parties etc.
Welcome to us.